All our paper and cardboard is disposed of in the recycling bins outside. All other general waste is sent to recycling plants where it is processed, separated and recycled. This includes plastic and food waste.
We recycle something in the region of 85% of our generated waste. All used toner bottles and printer waste is collected and recycled under Waste Electric and Electrical Equipment Regulations. We buy the plastic cup trays for the drinks machines which are made from 100% recycled plastic cups.
All our waste is strictly regulated under Environment Agency regulations and we receive duty of care notices from our waste collection services. Our copier paper is from Office Team which is delivered in recycled boxes; these are broken down and resent for recycling. The paper is approved by the Forest Certification Council which promotes Sustainable Forest Management.
We are always looking at ways to improve our sustainability performance and protecting the environment, we:
- Installed new timers and energy efficient controls to the heating system
- Use energy efficient light tubes
- Use timers for the external lighting to reduce light pollution
- Encourage cycle to work and car share
- Are in the process of installing time controlled switches to stairwells
- Installed LED lighting to some parts of the building
- Regularly service A / C units for more energy efficiency
- Installed occupancy sensors in toilets
- Offered unwanted equipment to staff, such as, furniture, files or old chairs
- Send equipment to recycling companies for reuse – such as old desks to be used in poorer African regions for schools
We are currently looking to use LED lights throughout all of the building it would reduce the electricity use by approximately a third. We have better use of heating and air conditioning to more energy efficient systems which reduce the costs per quarter / annum for gas and electric.